Brian R Corbin's Reflections on Religion and Life

Living Your Faith as Citizens and Leaders in Politics, Culture, Society and Business

UN conference was exploited for extremist remarks, says Vatican rep


By Carol Glatz
Catholic News Service

VATICAN CITY (CNS) — An international conference dedicated to combating racism unfortunately was used as a platform for taking “extreme and offensive political positions the Holy See deplores and rejects,” said the chief Vatican representative to U.N. agencies in Geneva.

The Durban Review Conference was meant to be an “occasion to set aside mutual difference and mistrust; reject once more any theory of racial or ethnic superiority; and renew the international community’s commitment to the elimination of all expressions of racism,” said Archbishop Silvano Tomasi.

While the work of the April 20-24 conference took a step forward in combating racism, it “has unfortunately been used to utter extreme and offensive political positions,” which do not contribute to dialogue, “provoke unacceptable conflicts, and in no way can be approved or shared,” he told conference participants in Geneva April 22. The Vatican released a copy of the archbishop’s remarks late that same day.

The archbishop was referring to remarks Iranian President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad made about Israel at the U.N.-sponsored conference April 20.

Ahmadinejad said that Israel had “resorted to military aggression to make an entire nation homeless under the pretext of Jewish suffering” and had established a “totally racist government in the occupied Palestine.” His comments prompted a temporary walkout by dozens of diplomats in attendance.

The U.N. conference, which was a follow-up meeting to examine a statement adopted in 2001 at the U.N.’s first conference on racism held in Durban, South Africa, was being boycotted by the United States, Canada and several other Western countries. The boycott stemmed from fears the Geneva conference would provide a platform to critics of Israel.

Archbishop Tomasi underlined the Vatican’s position, which also had been expressed by Pope Benedict XVI April 19, that participation in the conference was an important way to promote concrete measures to prevent and eliminate every form of racism and intolerance.

The reason most countries chose to participate in the conference and not walk out was a desire to make progress in eliminating old and new forms of racism, said the archbishop.

U.N. officials said that the text under consideration in Geneva was revised in recent months, and the latest draft does not include references to Israel or Zionism.

Archbishop Tomasi told Catholic News Service April 20 that much more significant than Ahmadinejad’s speech were the real advances made in the draft conference document, which recognizes the Holocaust as something not to be forgotten and condemns anti-Semitism as well as intolerance against other religions.

In his speech April 22 to U.N. delegates, the archbishop said racism, discrimination, xenophobia and intolerance “are evils that corrode the social fabric of society and produce innumerable victims.”

“Combating racism is a necessary and indispensable prerequisite for the construction of governance, sustainable development, social justice, democracy and peace in the world,” he said.

Coming together to share ideas and implement recommendations “is the duty and responsibility of everyone,” he said.

Archbishop Tomasi said education, the media and faith-based communities play an instrumental role in helping shape mentalities and consciences that are free from fear and prejudice against others.

He also expressed the Vatican’s alarm at “the still latent temptation of eugenics that can be fueled by techniques of artificial procreation and the use of ‘superfluous embryos.'”

“The possibility of choosing the color of the eyes or other physical characteristic of a child could lead to the creation of a ‘subcategory of human beings’ or the elimination of human beings that do not fulfill the characteristics predetermined by a given society,” he said.

He also warned against the introduction of “excessive measures and practices” in the legitimate fight against terrorism.

Efforts for greater security should never exacerbate people’s irrational fear of foreigners or undermine the protection and promotion of human rights, he said.

Filed under: Official Statements, Social Justice

Vatican Wants More From Bishop Williamson

Says Apology Is Insufficient VATICAN CITY, FEB. 27, 2009 ( Zenit.org ).-

A Vatican spokesman says an apology from formerly excommunicated Society of St. Pius X Bishop Richard Williamson is not enough. The Lefebvrite prelate released a statement Thursday regarding his declarations aired in January about the Holocaust. The prelate denied the gassing of 6 million Jews in an interview that aired on Swiss television at about the same time as he and three other Lefebvrite bishops had their 20-year excommunication lifted. The lifting of the excommunication is unrelated to the bishop’s interview and occurred in the context of Benedict XVI’s efforts to heal the schism with the Society of St. Pius X. Still, the coincidental concurrence of the interview and the lifting of the canonical penalty was viewed as an affront to Jewish-Catholic relations in some circles. It led to Vatican officials — including Benedict XVI — making repeated clarifications about the Church’s respect for the Jews and its commitment to dialogue with Christians’ “elder brothers.” In his statement Thursday, Bishop Williamson said that observing the consequences of his interview, “I can truthfully say that I regret having made such remarks, and that if I had known beforehand the full harm and hurt to which they would give rise, especially to the Church, but also to survivors and relatives of victims of injustice under the Third Reich, I would not have made them. […] To all souls that took honest scandal from what I said, before God I apologize.” Jesuit Father Federico Lombardi, director of the Vatican press office, said in a verbal statement today that the apology is lacking. He told journalists that the statement “does not seem to respect the conditions established in the Feb. 4 note from the [Vatican] Secretariat of State, which stated that [Bishop Williamson] must distance himself in an absolute, unequivocal and public way from his positions regarding the Shoah.” The spokesman also noted that the prelate’s declaration was not a letter directed to the Holy Father or to the Pontifical Commission Ecclesia Dei, which oversees the Church’s efforts to heal the schism with the Society of St. Pius X. Keeping things clear Bishop Williamson’s personal views of the Holocaust are unrelated to the larger issue of the Society of St. Pius X and that group’s lack of full communion with the Church. Bishop Williamson is in the same canonical position as the other three prelates of the society, including its superior-general Bishop Bernard Fellay. As ZENIT reported Thursday, citing canon lawyer Peter Vere, the prelates’ ordination 20 years ago was illicit, but nonetheless valid. In other words, it is unlawful because it was against the wishes of the Pope, but effective. This applies equally to Bishop Williamson and to the other three. The lawyer explained, “Bishop Williamson is not a Catholic bishop in that his episcopal consecration was carried out without papal mandate. […] However, the episcopal consecration was valid — that is, effective. So he is in fact a bishop with episcopal powers, meaning he can validly — but unlawfully — ordain, confirm, celebrate Mass, and validly — but unlawfully — perform any other episcopal function.” The lifting of the excommunication, Vere affirmed, does not make the ordination of the four prelates lawful. The Vatican Secretariat of State note from Feb. 4 clarified the position of the society in relation to the lifting of the excommunication: “The remission of the excommunication has freed the four bishops from a very serious canonical penalty, but it has not changed the juridical status of the Society of St. Pius X, which presently does not enjoy any canonical recognition by the Catholic Church. The four bishops, even though they have been released from excommunication, have no canonical function in the Church and do not licitly exercise any ministry within it. […] “A full recognition of the Second Vatican Council and the magisterium of Popes John XXIII, Paul VI, John Paul I, John Paul II and Benedict XVI himself is an indispensable condition for any future recognition of the Society of St. Pius X.” And those conditions do not promise to soon be met. According to the Italian ANSA news agency today, quoting the Swiss daily Le Courier from Thursday, Bishop Fellay says Vatican II has brought “only damages” to the Church. “The aftermath of the Council has been to empty seminaries, nunneries and churches,” he said. Bishop Williamson, with his views on the Holocaust, faces a challenge above those of his order at large. In a separate section, the Secretariat of State note went on to speak of Bishop Williamson’s positions on the Holocaust, saying they are “absolutely unacceptable and firmly rejected by the Holy Father.” In addition to the requirements extended to all the prelates of the Society of St. Pius X, the Vatican added that for Bishop Williamson “to be admitted to function as a bishop within the Church, [he] must also distance himself in an absolutely unequivocal and public way from his positions regarding the Shoah, which were unknown to the Holy Father at the time of the remission of the excommunication.” Missing the mark The Vatican spokesman was not the only one who found Bishop Williamson’s apology Thursday lacking. Jewish groups from various countries have also expressed their dissatisfaction. Dieter Graumann, vice-president of the Central Council for Jews in Germany, told the Handelsblatt newspaper that the prelate’s statement “leads one to the conclusion that he still believes in the Holocaust-denial.” — — —

Filed under: Official Statements

Pope says labor unions important in resolving financial crisis

By John Thavis
Catholic News Service

VATICAN CITY (CNS) — Pope Benedict XVI said labor unions have an important role to play in finding a way out of the global financial crisis and establishing a new culture of solidarity and responsibility in the marketplace.

“The great challenge and the great opportunity posed by today’s worrisome economic crisis is to find a new synthesis between the common good and the market, between capital and labor. And in this regard, union organizations can make a significant contribution,” the pope told directors of the Confederation of Italian Labor Unions Jan. 31.

The pope emphasized that the inalienable dignity of the worker has been a cornerstone of the church’s social teaching in the modern age, and said this teaching has helped the movement toward fair wages, improvement of working conditions and protection of vulnerable categories of employees.

Workers are facing particular risks in the current economic crisis, and unions must be part of the solution, he said.

“In order to overcome the economic and social crisis we’re experiencing, we know that a free and responsible effort on the part of everyone is required,” the pope said.

“In other words, it is necessary to overcome the interests of particular groups and sectors, in order to face together and in a united way the problems that are affecting every area of society, especially the world of labor,” he said.

“Never has this need been felt so urgently. The problems tormenting the world of labor push toward an effective and closer arrangement between the many and diverse components of society,” he said.

He noted that his predecessor, Pope John Paul II, had underlined labor as the key component in social questions and had described the labor union as an indispensable element of social life in modern industrialized societies.

Pope Benedict has been working on his first social encyclical, tentatively titled “Caritas in Veritate” (“Love in Truth”), which is expected to be published sometime this year.

Filed under: Economic Policy, Market Place, Official Statements, Papal Teachings, Social Justice

War in the Holy Land: Consider Taking Action…

THIS CHRISTMAS SEASON THE HOLY LAND IS ENGULFED IN VIOLENCE:

URGE PRESIDENT BUSH TO HELP NEGOTIATE A CEASEFIRE NOW

TAKE ACTION NOW! Visit the CRS Action Center now to contact President Bush and urge him to send a high level personal representative to the Holy Land immediately to help negotiate a ceasefire and ensure that the people of Gaza receive humanitarian assistance.

WHAT IS THE CURRENT SITUATION IN THE HOLY LAND? Escalating violence between Hamas, the Palestinian party that controls Gaza, and Israel has caused death, destruction and great suffering in recent days among Israelis and Palestinian civilians. Unjustified rocket attacks on Israeli civilians and the disproportionate Israeli military actions causing unacceptable casualties among Palestinian civilians will have serious negative effects on any progress in peace negotiations and risk a wider war.

WHY SHOULD CATHOLICS CARE ABOUT THE HOLY LAND? Our Catholic faith teaches us to be peacemakers. The U.S. Bishops wrote in The Challenge of Peace: God’s Promise and Our Response, “Peacemaking is not an optional commitment. It is a requirement of our faith. We are called to be peacemakers, not by some movement of the moment, but by our Lord Jesus.”

Our Holy Father, Pope Benedict XVI, has called on the international community to help Israelis and Palestinians to discard the “dead end” of violence and pursue instead “the path of dialogue and negotiations.” Immediate, visible and decisive U.S. leadership is urgently needed.

In a December 30 letter to Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice Bishop Howard J. Hubbard of Albany, Chairman of the Committee on International Justice and Peace of the United States Conference of Catholic Bishops (USCCB), wrote:

“At a time when the attention of Christians is drawn naturally to the birthplace of the Prince of Peace, it is tragic that innocent civilians are once again the victims of armed conflict and a humanitarian crisis.” A ceasefire and humanitarian relief are indispensable initial steps on the road to a two-state solution—a secure Israel living in peace with a viable Palestinian state—with justice and peace for both peoples.”

WHAT IS THE CATHOLIC CHURCH DOING TO PROMOTE PEACE IN THE HOLY LAND? In 2005, the U.S. Conference of Catholic Bishops (USCCB) launched the Catholic Campaign for Peace in the Holy Land. The campaign’s goal is to create a shared commitment to the broad outlines of a just resolution of the conflict and to raise a united voice with policy makers and the wider public. Catholic Relief Services (CRS) has worked in the Holy Land for nearly half a century, supporting peace with justice for all people, while responding to the humanitarian and sustainable development needs of Palestinians.

Together, USCCB and CRS are advocating for stronger U.S. leadership to hold both parties to the conflict accountable in building a just peace. We also support U.S. funding for the Palestinian Authority to increase its ability to govern as well as urgently needed humanitarian assistance for the Palestinian people.

Filed under: Official Statements, Politics

Jan 1..World Day of Peace. How do you think peace and poverty are connected?

Each year, the Holy Father releases a statement on peace to celebrate the World Day of Peace. The connections between Poverty and Peace are the basis of this year’s statement for January 1, 2009.  The US Catholic Bishops have set up a website with ideas regarding peace and poverty.  Visit this website for links to Pope Benedict XVI’s 2009 World Day of Peace Statement and the US Bishops website to continue our work in poverty reduction and peace building.

What do you think are the connections between peace and poverty?  What ideas do you have to build peace?

Filed under: Culture, Economic Policy, Official Statements, Papal Teachings, Social Doctrine, Social Justice, Spirituality